Wednesday, November 30, 2005

where are your social graces?

Today was not by any means the first time I realized that I am completely lacking in the area of social graces. On the contrary, I muse over it nearly every day. Today was just the first time that I had thought to use the term "social graces." This came about because of one of the awkward situations that I seem to encounter far more often than I should.

I was walking across campus after my film lab today and the girl in front of me dropped her Jamba Juice, which promptly exploded. As she let out a pitifully disappointed, "oohh," I just stepped past with a pitying smile on my face thinking, geez, that's gotta suck. A few steps later I thought to myself, where are your social graces? Why didn't you do something? But then I got thinking about it, and really, what could I have done? It's not like I could have helped her pick anything up, it was gone for good. Should I have offered some condolences? Made a lighthearted joke to ease the pain of her tragic loss? Offered to help her clean it up? I just don't know.

You see, my complete lack of even knowing what I should have done just goes to prove that I really don't have a any social graces. They just seem to elude me when I need them most. What's a girl to do?

9 comments:

micquel said...

Do you think I'm an idiot?

micquel said...

awkward blog silence...do you get it?

deb said...

sometimes these so called "social graces" aren't wanted...like when people say, "oh the floor is slippery" when obviously you know that. Or when they come running up to you asking, "are you okay?" and you say, "uh yeah," and run away laughing but humiliated.

Mrs. Clary said...

hahahahah

Babs said...

so true, so very very true!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I think you done good. Sorry I didn't read your blog until today. The laptop scene is a tricky one...if you have to set a lot of stuff up, which I do. I'm normally quite an avid blogger with a lot of crap things to say, but I was slacking there for a while. It will never happen again.

Unknown said...

Five secrets NOW!

Trisha said...

okay. here is the thingy... at least you were kind. i have no social abilities whatsoever. i would have laughed at her and than said something extremely clever like, "that bites the big one."

smart alec said...

trisha, i would have enjoyed seeing that - mostly just the face of the girl you said it to. sad.