Friday, January 27, 2006

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock: Radio Edit Version

I must admit, this post really has nothing to do with T.S. Elliot, and I bet you are all heartily disappointed. The title just came to me in the middle of the night, and I couldn't resist. As we are all well aware, I am too illiterate to create a post that can live up to such a title and I apologize. When I was musing on the subject in the middle of the night, I thought I was so very clever, "ha ha ha," thought I to myself, "I will write the so called "radio edit" of this wonderful poem and everyone will think that I am so witty and clever." However, upon awakening the next morning, I remembered that I have a rather small alotment of literary skill and that it was too vast an undertaking for one such as I. But, it is a choice poem, and I highly recomend that you check it out. But before I say adieu, I must force a few of my favorite lines upon you because my guess is that you are too lazy to read the entirety in its length. (Does it shock you how well I know you?)

And indeed there will be time

To wonder, “Do I dare?” and, “Do I dare?”

Time to turn back and descend the stair,

With a bald spot in the middle of my hair—

[They will say: “How his hair is growing thin!”]

My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,

My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin—

[They will say: “But how his arms and legs are thin!”]

Do I dare

Disturb the universe?

In a minute there is time

For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.


For I have known them all already, known them all:—

Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;

I know the voices dying with a dying fall

Beneath the music from a farther room.

So how should I presume?
I just love that "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" and my guess is that you know me well enough to surmise that I am not one to undervalue baldspots.
As my parting gift to you, I will let you know that when I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Don't you just love the English language?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am no creative writer or analyzer, so I don't know if I'll ever be able to read that poem all the way through. It sounds pretty good, though, from what I've read. I just don't have the brain power to appreciate it in the way it needs to be.

plugalong said...

So I read it ALL, mainly because you said I couldn't (ahem) and these are also lines I liked:
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions, (I relate to this I guess, just in different context)

The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall

micquel said...

You know that I'm just a jokester, and well done on proving me so incorrect. Those are some pretty excellent lines. Pretty much the way T.S. Elliot can rhyme strikes awe into my soul. Ah, to have a melodic rhyme that means something...

Becca, maybe I should chat with your dad about ol' Elliot. On second thought, maybe that's a bad idea, the only things I know about his poetry are what I feel about it myself and what Mr. Rutter taught me. enough said.

smart alec said...

Nikki, I'm with you. And Micquel, I'm afraid you are getting too smart for me, I think we need a break.

Babs said...

wow.. 130 lines.. you're right Micquel, much too long to read at the moment.

...

I don't know why I still have troubles spelling your name... I know that at one point I knew... and then I'm sure I've spelled it wrong since them numerous times.

Sorry! I think I really will have alzheimers when I'm extremely young. I wouldn't be surprised if I had it now... anywho. MICQUEL... ? Right?

micquel said...

Right. I'm proud of you for trying, well done. I will write a new post soon so you won't have to look at this one anymore. That will be a relief.