Monday, March 13, 2006

To Borrow a Title from a Fellow Blogger: Various and Sundry Thoughts for a Monday

I was just reading though some of my previous posts, and while the typos and bad grammar make me wince, sometimes I think I am kind of funny. But then I wonder if anyone else thinks I have potential for amusement, and I get embarrassed for being so amused by myself. Am I wrong, though, to think that I am hilarious when I write about my future spouse and what a dork I was as a kid? (is there any need to remark on the remaining dorkiness? I think it's self explanatory). Perhaps it is wrong, but I still think I'm funny. And so do these guys.


Another item I was thinking about on this Monday night is why I blog when I have the most to do. I mean, it's not like there aren't other ways to procrastinate--for instance, cutting split ends for an hour or two, looking up all the movies I would like to rent in the next year, taking online quizzes...You get the picture. Maybe I blog because I feel like it is somewhat productive? I have really been wanting to move that dog down with a new post for a while. What do you think?

I always feel slightly awkward when I eat alone at an establishment of food, and I think I would feel awkward going to a movie alone (it hasn't happened yet). Why is this? Don't get me wrong here, I love, love having a ball with friends or the fam, but sometimes I also really love to be alone. So what's different about going to lunch/movies, etc., than going shopping and on other errands, or watching movies at home? Is it because I am acclimatized to think of those things as something you do for fun with people?

I've realized that my various and sundry thoughts are mostly questions I am putting out there into the void. So here's another: why does it break your heart when you have a secret crush on someone but have only talked to them a handful of times, and you see them hugging some snotty girl? I guess I should say "my heart" as I don't know if it breaks your heart. It's never broken my heart before today. What changed?

Another question I have for the mysterious place that is the world wide web, is this: why is it that when I am at work and finally decide to quit reading blogs and generally wasting time on the internet to get some homework done as long as the orders aren't pouring in, the orders start pouring in? I have seriously tested this. On the nights when I decide to forgo the homework altogether and just keep on keeping on, the orders never seem to come. But the moment I crack open a book, the next time I look, an order has appeared. Dagnabit.

And another thing. Why can't people just let other people hate the snow? We know that it is useful moisture, it looks pretty, is a blessing, and all that jazz. But it doesn't change the fact that I hate it and want it to be spring.

Finally, I think that the last name "Dowdy" is kind of funny.

23 comments:

plugalong said...

I always love you funny posts and pictures (you must have a talent with google). It's funny because I was just thinking about the eating alone situation yesterday when we went out and there was a lone guy eating. I guess it just seemed he must be lonely even if he wasn't. Eating is such a social thing I think. When you don't eat with others I bet it is usually ramen noodles or some such. As for snow, hate it all you want, but in the meantime go snowboarding or something so you won't dwell on it too much and make yourself unhappy?
I guess that was just about a post for a comment,eh?

oh, and Murpy's Law? It is obviously scientifically proven.

deb said...

I certainly know the feeling. I once had a brilliant idea while working at TP and we had no calls for a week and a half straight, "I'll take my stats homework to work and be productive." It was also so I could have a break from reading The Unlikely Romance of Kate bjorkman, which I have read 10 times now(it was the only book I had). And that is when the calls just came. Like a hawk. Or a rock. Er, either way. I hate eating alone, and when I go other places alone I feel very posh. I don't know why.

smart alec said...

Hey, I want to read that book Debbie - it sounds amazing. And I have never gone anywhere to eat alone (even through the drive thru). I don't know why, but I just can't do it. Going grocery shopping alone took me a while to get used to. Same with clothes shopping. I think I have major social skill issues.

Unknown said...

I, too, am socially inadept. I've never gone to eat or seen a movie by myself. I don't think I've ever been to the The Mart before by myself either. It's a scary place even when you have people with you. I often go to Maecy's on my own, though. Such a friendly place. Oh, wait, I guess I've gone to the Taco Bell in the Cougar Eat alone, but I feel like that doesn't count because it's on campus and I'm always alone on campus.

I'm sorry you had your heart broken. Every time I go on a date I get my heart broken because I know nothing will happen. Well, lets be honest: whenever I SEE an acceptable boy I get heart broken. I really need to cheer up.

I think the last name Uda is pretty funny.

smart alec said...

It is quite the name Nikki. Oh yeah, Micquel I meant to tell you in my last comment that I think you are quite the funny girl....woman?...girl. yes, you are funny

deb said...

Howdy Dowdy!

Trisha said...

I like being alone. i beleive that i have done everything alone at some point. i have gone out for food alone. i go shopping alone all the time. last week i went to two movies alone. i go on drives alone A LOT just to think. alone time is a really good idea. i fully support it. if you would like to give it a try i would go to a movie with you. we can sit in different places and pretend we are alone. if the pressure gets to be too much you can come back and sit with me. consider this.

micquel said...

I think I would drive around more alone if a) gas was at no cost to me, b) I had a CD player or even a tape deck, and c) if I a bunch of friends with me. er...wait. Anyway, I might have to take you up on this, Trisha. My guess is that I will break down in 18 minutes (this includes previews). But I still want to try.

Nikki, Uda is quite as funny as Dowdy, I think. And I hate good looking boys that I know will never be mine. Jerks.

smart alec said...

I am alone enough of the time. It is good, no doubt, but not to the extent that I am. When a circumstance comes up that could at all possible be done with people, I much prefer it.

kidzdilemmas said...

Murpy's law? Wha? What is that? Cool pictures.

deb said...

The first guy picture thingy...yeah that is funny. I like it alot. Haha.

Trisha said...

yes. movie night on the lonesome should happen.

Trisha said...

oh yes, and who was that boy who picked you up at my house on sunday????

micquel said...

oh, you know, just my secret boyfriend that I never told you about.

smart alec said...

I knew it!

Babs said...

Micquel- You certainly have a lot of good questions! I'm just going to assume they were rhetorical, because the answers are yet a mystery to me as well.

Man, Personality tests are quite amusing though... "What's your IQ" ... "Are you a good kisser?" hehe... I mean... uh.

How is a computer going to tell me that? I don't want to know.

smart alec said...

come now on Micquel, even I have written a new blog.

deb said...

Computers can do that?!

Unknown said...

Micquel, I can see you right now in Physical Science, but I don't think you have seen me. Is your Messenger not working? Stupid piece of...I'm two rows behind you in the middle section. I hope you read this.

plugalong said...

Yes, New Post! New Post!

plugalong said...

By the way, I need your e'mail address! I lost this info when I changed a password and promptly forgot it. For the life of me I can't remember it. Total blank.

deb said...

Micquel...please write a new blog. It isn't monday anymore. It ins't even March anymore. NEW BLOG NOW!

smart alec said...

SOUND (of my foot tap tap tapping against the floor)