Wednesday, October 19, 2005

shuffling through leaves

I realized today that walking out to my car after class is my favorite time of day. I get to saunter and shuffle, and notice the sky, the trees, and yes, enjoy crunching the dead leaves under my feet. (As long as they are indeed leaves--you know what I'm talking about, Nik and Deb.) Other times, it seems I am always in a hurry, running up the stairs to get to Anthropology almost on time, or hurrying so I have more time to veg out with the friends between classes. The walk by myself is the one time of day I have to just think. I try really hard to not think of the things I need to do that day, but rather to think about the simple things in life, like how I should notice nature more often than my once daily walk to the car. And also about how life isn't really so bad, at least not quite the "butt" I'm always saying that it is. Almost, but not quite. So take heart, my friends. Take walks on lovely cool, crisp fall days, and remember, life's not a butt.

9 comments:

deb said...

I was just saying today that I thought your saying, "life is a butt" is quite hilarious. But seriously, my sanity would be nonexistant if I didn't stop and look around a bit. I'm not saying that I am not completely insane (ha ha double negative :)) But yes, me gusta crunching leaves.

smart alec said...

wow, you know, I was just thinking that same thing yesterday as I was walking home from my Art History class. I was walking towards home, which means towards the mountains, and almost the whole walk was concentrated on how beautiful and amazing the mountains were. They are so high and full of trees and nature and it sounds not at all profound when I write it but it is true just the same. I had a real urge to hike to the Y, heck, to the top of the mountain! It would be so amazing to look over the city. I was also thinking about the Egyptians and their pyramids and also the pyramids I saw in Mexico and I tried to think of our mountains as pyramids and how cool it would be if there were like statues on top of the mountain and stuff like that. I don't know, it sounds weird, but I really like my walks home because they really are MY time to just think about whatever I want and to gaze and the amazingness that is nature. So pretty.

Babs said...

That's a great reminder Miquelle! Such simple things are more often forgotten than the complications of life it seems. Wow, you're right, the leaves really are great. And the trees - gorgeous. Yesterday the leaves were actually kind of flying about, and it was lovely. For some reason it reminds me of elementary. Remember the good old days when you did a craft for every holiday/season? Oh, that was great!

deb said...

True that, Nikki.

Unknown said...

You really need to write a new post. This one's a little too serious for more commentage. I've said about all I can.

deb said...

Agreed. Not that I can ever check it. But seriously, write a new one.

Trisha said...

hello darling. i have missed you. you are a profound girl. i agree completely. i walked around on sunday a collected leaves. it was nice. we should hang out. call me.

Unknown said...

Okay, this is just getting ridiculous. I'll write a new post if you write a new post, deal? I better start brain-storming.

micquel said...

not gonna happen, my friend