Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Telling You Stuff About Me

All morning I have been wondering who is wafting the very strange perfume/shampoo/mystery smell that I have been catching whiffs of. Yeah, I just realized it is my new deodorant that I cracked open today. Good thing I didn't comment about it to anyone, 'cause that would have been awkward.

Now I will tell you about my new obsession with swimming. I have always enjoyed a nice summertime outdoor "swim." Where by "swim" I meant "being in the water." But on Saturday Jeff and I realized it was nearly the middle of July and we hadn't been swimming yet and the situation had to be immediately rectified. However, at that point in the day, the option was either getting in our P90X Kenpo workout, or going for a swim. We decided that we would skip the Kenpo and try to swim some laps so we could get some exercise whilst enjoying the sun and water.

Until that day, I had never considered swimming to be a viable source of exercise for me. For others, yes, but definitely not for me. I mean, I just don't really know how to swim laps and do fancy flip turns and all that jazz. But we slapped on some goggles and I pretended to know how to do the breastroke, then inhaled water trying to do some freestyle, occasionally taking a break with a lazy backstroke-like thing. We swam for 45 minutes, going a mere 1/4 of a mile, but dang my heart rate was high.

And I think we all know what usually happens when my heart rate is elevated above 140 for more than 15 minutes. My head refuses to sweat and I get an instant headache that more often than not lasts all day. But remember how you are in water when you swim? No need for normal human cooling mechanisms like sweat. sweet!

That is the first time in my life that I have had a great cardiovascular workout without the usual consequences. I don't know why the idea had never occurred to me before, it seems pretty obvious...but I guess I am pretty dense. Anyway, now you know why I am obsessed with swimming. Es Fantastic!

Our new goal, since P90X really only has 2 cardio workouts, is to do the weight training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the mornings, then go for a nice swim right after work/school (which we already failed at yesterday, oops!). Usually I would balk at working out for nearly 2 hours in a day, but swimming is so nice outside in the sun--it's really more fun than workout.

Now I'm off to plan a super Tuesday night date. If anyone reads this before 4 pm today, ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 comments:

deb said...

I so enjoy that you are making this blog live. As in, you are writing a lot! I love it. Swimming is pretty great. And we just bought goggles today. Should be a great end to summer. haha.

Unknown said...

I, too, and realizing the joys of working out in water. I still can't swim laps, but my legs get a pretty great workout at water aerobics when we flutter-kick our way across the pool with a noodle. It's nice to not sweat, for sure.

smellame said...

Way to work it out! And I hope you had a super fun date night!